Our driver was also our guide for the day. He was called Ali. He treated us to another crazy drive to Central /City Palace. We had a wonderful time exploring this Mughal Palace and now did not need a guide as we knew the layout and functions of the various buildings in the Mughal forts quite well.
After this we set off for our first walk through the streets. This was a bit scary at first especially as the sun had come out and we felt hot. However we soon learned to weave our way through the traffic, the cows, dogs, pigs and pitiful beggars. We did not give money as we were following advice that if we did so we would be surrounded by even more. On top of that the taxi and auto-rickshaw drivers constantly approached us for custom as did touts wanting to take us to some money making enterprise. At first we were very English and said a polite 'No thank you'. We soon learned you had to be rude and say a firm 'No'! Avoid answering questions and keep going was the only way. We wanted to see a Hindu Temple which was just around the corner from the Central Palace. We made it but found it closed. This was not surprising as many things were closing for New Year's Eve.
We retraced our steps to the place where Ali was waiting and asked him to take us to the Government Emporium shop on MI Road. These are found all over India and are fixed prices shops where the quality is good. On the way we saw the camel cart. We kept seeing these from the bus but this was my first chance to get a photo.
When we arrived for some reason I felt doubtful that we were in the Government Emporium. However Ali had impressed on us that he wanted to do a good job for us so we would recommend him. We stepped inside and immediately I felt more certain this was not the right place. We were instantly approached by a salesman who escorted us up to a fourth floor area where there were textiles, dresses and sarees. I kept saying that I did not want him to show me things but just wanted to look. He was unable to do this. As soon as I stopped he was there. The prices were very high for some things. In the end I found a scarf in a colour that I liked and some souvenirs. I also bought some earrings which they said were various jewels set in silver. In the end I decided that I liked them and that they were reasonably priced so I bought them, even though I was suspicious they were not genuine sapphires and garnets! Jo and Sarah bought a few bits and pieces but not the £200 diamond ring the salesman was trying to sell Jo. I have since looked up the details on the receipt. We were taken to the Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation. Very close to the Rajasthali Government Emporium but a different postal address.
Ali then took us to a restaurant and we had Dhosa. This is an amazing long pancake stuffed with potatoes, various veg and spices. So filling we could not eat it all. Ali did a good job recommending this restaurant. We then went back to the hotel in order to get ready for New Year's Eve. A party had been organised in the hotel.
To start the evening, there was music in the main lounge. We drank beer and listened to tabla and sitar players and drank beer. Many of us dressed up and most of the women in the group sported their new dresses and scarves. Then we all sat around a bonfire by the pool.